Epsilon Systems Solutions Inc. Mission Readiness Group is seeking a full time Project Manager III in Portsmouth, VA.
Summary: The Project Manager III is the onsite project primary point-of-contact. With full authority, accountability and responsibility, this position manages all aspects of assigned ship maintenance, modernization and repair projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, estimates, negotiates, staffs, manages work execution, and reconciles final billings on assigned projects. As the top decision maker on the project, resolves any internal issues that arise over the productive and safe management of the project. Leads the post-project review to capture lessons learned which are applicable to future projects.
- Meets or exceeds customers realistic expectations for quality, productivity and safety on projects, and works with the customer to facilitate any changes in project scope and cost. Resolves issues on a day-to-day basis with customers, owners, port authorities, and other project stakeholders.
- Represents the company fairly and consistently when interacting with customers.
- Works closely with the Estimating Department to develop estimates for regional work.
- Interprets specifications, plans project sequencing and coordinates the various phases of the project to prevent delays and avoid rework. Ensures that change order requests and condition found reports (CFRs) are properly written, and approves them before submittal to the customer.
- Writes timely and accurate documentation of each job and contributes accordingly to final written specifications. Confers with supervision to resolve problems and to improve company processes and procedures.
- Plans, coordinates and directs production activities for assigned projects. Through subordinate supervision, assures appropriate daily project staffing.
- Monitors job progress to ensure that manpower utilization and allocation meets job requirements and bid expectation. Makes appropriate changes as necessary.
- At time of bid package preparation, works closely with estimating team. Evaluates, sets up, and manages subcontracts for support work on awarded projects.
- Oversees and coordinates the operations of the assigned worksite location.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with vendors, customers, and labor unions.
- Coordinates and assures appropriate purchasing and shipping and receiving processes are used for tools, equipment, and other products needed at the regional location.
- Identifies, assesses and analyzes any risk(s) and/or issues that may compromise the successful completion of the project, and develop plans and actions that will remove or minimize risk.
- Able to works nights and weekends during peak workload periods or as required to ensure project success. Must be willing to travel and manage ship repair availabilities in remote, out-of-state locations for extended periods of time.
- Identifies changes in work scope to ensure appropriate planning measures are being taken including the customers inputs for reassessing, renegotiating, and amending the scope of work, schedules and budgets.
- Other duties necessary to complete assigned project(s) within time and budget constraints.
Required Background and Education:
- Bachelors Degree (BS) in Engineering or Naval Architecture or a technical discipline associated with ship maintenance, modernization, construction and repair; preferred degrees include: Marine Engineering, Shipyard Management and Naval Architecture from an accredited college or university/ or equivalent experience.
- Five years Project Management experience associated with ship maintenance, modernization, construction and repair.
- Ten years managerial or supervisory experience in engineering projects involving modernization, maintenance, installation, repair or testing of naval ship HM&E or electronic systems/ equipment.
- Current security clearance (SECRET) or the ability to obtain one.
- Pursuant to the various government contractual requirements, all applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
- This position manages as many as fifty employees, with varying degrees of technical expertise, either directly or through subordinate Foremen.
- Assesses and documents overall work performance of direct reports by close review of project, providing feedback as necessary.
- Ensures performance documentation is completed by managers or supervisors of all assigned project personnel.
- Clearly identifies strengths and weaknesses of project team members and recommends specific development activities.
Knowledge of: The PM should have demonstrated knowledge of Navy organizations including: Naval Sea Systems (NAVSEA) Command, Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC), naval shipyard, Regional Maintenance Centers, and Type Commanders (TYCOMs), shipyard operations, ship systems and particularly how they interact. Additional knowledge in construction/repair sequencing; principles and practices of managing large numbers of employees and motivating them to peak performance; and budgeting and financial statements is desired.
Ability to: Control the profitability of the project through schedule adherence, reprioritization and cost reduction; influence and lead others in successful project execution; mentor others by modeling respectful behaviors; apply a systems approach to work planning and execution; apply financial expertise in accomplishing labor intensive projects; make careful and judicious use of labor in a complex multi-craft, union work environment; effectively communicate orally and in writing with diverse groups such as customers, vendors, labor representatives and officials at all levels; handle multiple priorities with independence and good judgment.
Skill in: leadership skills including conflict resolution, real-time decision making, high performance expectations and inspiring employees to meet them; developing scope change estimates; interpreting and applying complex requirements both in the accomplishment of the work and in the management of labor; maximizing revenues and profits on project using art and science of negotiations; strong, tactical outlook with a clearly demonstrated sense of ownership over the process and the results; able to create metrics to support operational improvements.
ADA & Work Environment: The physical demands for this position are light to moderate. May require some lifting or assistance with heavy equipment. Position is required to stand for extensive periods of time, in extreme internal/external climates. Must also be able to work long hours, travel via various modes of transportation, and work any day of the week at any time of the day as required to meet customer needs, business objectives and to achieve delivery of service deadlines. The work environment for this job is demanding and potentially hazardous due to work on or inside ships as well as travel around ship repair yards.
Epsilon Systems Solutions, Inc. and its subsidiaries are proud to be Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employers, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veterans.